50+ Video Lessons
A detailed study of form across 7 modules, 14 chapters, and over 50 individual video lessons.
Master the Pencil
Complete the course with the simplest of tools! All assignment demonstrations are done with pencil.
Designed to increase your understanding and retention of the material.
Access The Power of Form
An intuitive understanding of form is the most valuable drawing skill. It informs your choices on all other aspects of drafting - lines, gesture, color, everything! This is true even if you're working from reference. Whether you are designing characters for a game or painting a tree from life, you are always grappling with form in your mind.
Unlock A New State Of Mind
Experience "Being the Form." The demonstrations and exercises in this course will help level up your skills and establish a crucial framework for understanding dimensionality in your art. You will grasp form in your mind more vividly than ever before. When the thing you're drawing feels real to you, depicting it well is a matter of course.
Who Is Steven Zapata, Really?
I'm just some guy. But I'm very good at drawing and anyone who doesn't hate me will tell you that. I am a professional artist with 10+ years of experience in print, illustration, advertising, theme parks, architectural design, and video games. My experience in education includes teaching production design and narrative storytelling at Art Center College of Design, mentoring students one-on-one, conducting in-person and online workshops, and guest-lecturing at art schools across the US. I also have a YouTube channel that discusses the mental and spiritual aspects of being an artist.
Learn how to use the course, structure your time, and examine the nature of form and imagination.
- How To Use This Course
- What is Form?
- What is Imagination?
2. Materials Overview
A look at all my drawing materials with links and a demonstration of the basic capabilities of the pencil, from hatching to stumping to veiling.
- Materials Overview
- What Your Pencil Can Do
- Doing These Exercises Digitally
3. The Nature of Light
A multimedia exploration of various types of light. Consider how the illusion of form is created and why things look the way they do. Investigate photons, diffuse and specular reflection, and light falloff.
- Types of Light
- Diffuse Reflection
- Specular Reflection
4. The Modeling Factors
Learn the 12 modeling factors and the optical effects that create the impression of three-dimensionality.
- Modeling Factors Of The Sphere
- Modeling Factors Of The Cube
- Modeling Factors Of Cylinders and Other Geo Forms
5. Basic Geometric Forms
Learn how to draw and render basic geometric forms.
- Front-Lit Sphere
- Back-Lit Sphere
- Perspective Crash Course- Cube Constructions With Shadows
6. Textured Geometric Forms
Introduce texture and secondary shapes to primary geometric forms.
- Handling Textures Digitally
- Textured Sphere
- Textured Cylinder
- Creative Sphere
7. Combined Geometric Forms
Learn how to handle complex forms and begin to compose scenes.
- Sphere Group - Local Light
- Compound Forms - Compound Block
- Compound Forms - Creative (Modern House)
- Combined Geometry - Quick Sketching
- Combined Geometry - Rendering
8. Still Lifes
Design lit scenes with multiple elements using the principles of form.
- Still Life - Geo Forms
- Still Life - Creative
9. Combined Organic Geometry
Apply your knowledge of geometric forms to rounded organic forms.
- Combined Geometry - Rounded Geo
- Rounded Geometry in Digital
- Combined Geometry - Relaxed
- Organic Forms - Abstract
10. Simplifying Complex Organic Forms
Learn how to simplify even the most complex and subtle of organic forms into manageable structures.
- Simplified Heads - Introduction and Render
- Simplified Heads - Celebrities
- Simplified Heads - Portraits
- Organic Forms - Details
- TV Heads Exercise
11. Understanding Primary Shapes
Deepen your understanding of primary shapes and their applications in character design.
- Primary Shapes - Introduction
- Primary Shapes - Natural Sketching
- Primary Shapes - Toy Characters
12. Local Values on Forms
Learn how to handle local changes of value on complex forms.
- Local Values - Introduction and Bean
- Local Values - Cube
- Local Values - Portrait
13. Designing Form: Imagination Tips and Principles
A large compendium of tips for designing and inventing form.
Chapter videos include:
- Bad Shape, Bad Form
- Drive the Silhouette Inside
- Form and Void
- Textures Further Explained
- Transition to Color
- Tips for Creating Form Digitally
- + Many More
14. Creative Demos
Apply your newfound skills and knowledge to creative work from imagination. These videos cover the realistic difficulties, compromises, and joys of free drawing.
- Corrupted Knight
- Meat Bag
15. Bonus Content- Transformational Anatomy
Continue to explore how the figure can be imaginatively transformed with these bonus tutorials!
- Transformational Anatomy: The Arm (8 videos with 5+ hours of content!)
- Transformational Anatomy: The Leg (9 videos with 5+ hours of content!)
Form From Imagination
With Instructor Feedback
50+ Video Lessons
30+ Page Assignment Book
Hi-res Scans of Demo Drawings
All Future Updates and Revisions
Access to the Exclusive FFI Community for Sharing Work, Instructor Feedback, and Peer Review
BONUS - Transformational Anatomy: The Arm (5+ Hours of Content)
BONUS - Transformational Anatomy: The Leg (5+ Hours of Content)